Activity: What's Buggin' You?
Build a three-dimensional (3-D) model of a fire ant. Learn the different parts of an ant and new vocabulary words.
- Ant Model Assembly Instructions
- Red Imported Fire Ant Model, photocopied onto heavy card stock
- Colored pencils, markers or crayons
- Optional: Parts of an Ant Worksheet
- Cut out the parts of the Red Imported Fire Ant Model.
- Assemble the parts according to the instructions.
- Glue the labels onto your worksheet and compare the ant model with other types of insects, noting the similarities and differences.
- If you want, you can color the ants with natural or customized color patterns.
- After comparing ants to butterflies, grasshoppers or other common insects, think about the similarities and differences of the types of insects.