2013 Annual Imported Fire Ant (and other Invasive Ants) Conference
- When: April 8 - 11, 2013
- Where: Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Conference Hotel (main website): Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront Hotel, 3501 Atlantic Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451, Toll Free: 888-627-8231.
- Fire Ant Conference venue website set up by hotel. Bookmark it!
- Meeting begins April 8th with an evening reception from 6 to 8 pm.
- Conference presentations will be given on April 9-10
- April 11 8 AM to Noon reserved as a workday for the eXtension Imported Fire Ant Community of Practice
- Program Chair: Dr. Peter Schultz
The 2013 Local Arrangements Committee would like to extend an invitation to attend the 2013 Imported Fire Ant Conference. The Imported Fire Ant (and other Invasive Ants) Conference provides a great opportunity for research scientists, students, Extension specialists, regulatory personnel, and industry representatives to interact and exchange ideas and research findings. We expect this to be a very informative, exciting, and interesting meeting on imported fire ants and other invasive ant issues.
Getting to Virginia Beach
The nearest airport is Norfolk International (ORF) and is serviced by all major airlines including Southwest. The Sheraton is located 20 minutes from the Norfolk International Airport. Driving directions can be requested. Shuttle service and taxi services ($40) are always available.
- Special conference rate of $89.00 USD per night for 1 king or 2 double beds
- Conference rate valid 3 days prior to and 3 days following the meeting.
- Room rates will be honored until March 8, 2013.
- Call the hotel directly at 757-425-9000 or the reservations department directly at 1-888-627-8231.
The hotel has set up a venue website for conference attendees. You can register online, check out local attractions, dining and access other information.The hotel is conveniently located in the resort district and is close to a number of tourist attractions.
- Free parking is for meeting attendees.
- Indicate you are with the Imported Fire Ant Group at the hotel registration desk to receive the discounted parking tag.
Other Hotel Amenities
- Complimentary wireless Internet throughout the hotel including all meeting rooms
- Free 24-hour fitness center
- Full list of amenities available at venue website
- To register for the meeting, please complete the Conference Registration form.
- We cannot accept credit cards.
- Please make check payable to Treasurer, Virginia Tech.
- Email Ava Butler or phone her at 757-363-3900 about invoicing your institution.
- Deadline for advance registration is March 25, 2013
- To submit an oral or poster presentation, please complete the Presentation Submission form.
- Deadline for presentation submission is March 25, 2013
We look forward to seeing all of you there! If you have any questions about the conference that are not covered in the information above, please contact Peter Schultz.
Wrapping up the Excellent 2012 Conference in Nashville
- Update Sept 27: 2012 Conference Proceedings now available
- Directions for abstract or report submissions to 2012 Proceedings
The Imported Fire Ant Conference Proceedings have been issued annually since 1984. The link below contains copies of Proceedings from 1984 through 2011.
The citations from the Proceedings from 1984-2001 are provided in a bibliography developed under the direction of Dr. S. Bradleigh Vinson. An index to the numbered citations is also provided to allow users to search for papers on specific topics.
- Bibliography of Imported Fire Ant Conference Proceedings (1984-2001)
- Subject Area Index for Imported Fire Ant Conference Proceedings (1984-2001)