Weight lifting, resistance training, muscle strengthening, or strength training are all common terms used to describe types of exercise that help build lean body mass. These types of activities provide additional benefits not found with aerobic activity. The benefits of weight lifting include increased bone density and muscular strength. Muscle-strengthening activities can also help maintain muscle mass which is especially important when you are on a weight-loss program.
Strength training activities challenge muscles to do more work and to overload the muscle. You don't have to lift weights to do strength training. You can use resistance bands or even your own body weight by doing push-ups, pull-ups, or sit-ups. Muscle-strengthening activities for all the major muscle groups should be done at least two days a week.
Start slow by doing one to two sets of an exercise per body part. Select a weight that you can do 8 to 12 repetitions. As you progress, increase the number of sets as well as the weight you use. The goal is to continually challenge the muscle. Increases in the amount of weight or the days a week of exercising will result in stronger muscles.
Adding strength training to your exercise routine will have benefits to your overall health and fitness.
- 10,000 Steps a Day -- Why?
- Adding Physical Activity to Your Day One Step at a Time
- Benefits of Latin Dance
- Benefits of Moving More
- Bike Safety
- Can I Walk - Assessing the Walkability of Your Neighborhood
- Gardening as Exercise
- Getting Enough Sleep is Key in Achieving and Maintaining a Healthy Weight
- How Much 'Physical Activity' do Children Need?
- How Much Physical Activity is Enough for Adults
- Importance of Resistance Training
- Increase Physical Activity
- Indoor Activities for You and Your Child
- Make Family Time Active Time
- Move More Everyday
- Move More Everyday Introductory Article
- Physical Activity in the Warm Summer Months
- Physical Fitness - Exercise - Physical Activity - What is the Difference
- Playground Safety
- Playing It Safe in the Summer Heat & Sun
- Safe Routes to School and Walking School Bus Program
- So You Think You Can't Dance?
- Starting a Walking Program
- Tai Chi: Movement for Health Benefits
- Ten Things You Can Do Now to Maintain Calorie Balance and Sustain a Healthy Weight
- The Importance of Stretching to Achieve and Maintain Flexibility
- Winter Sport Safety
- Yoga and Pilates for Good Health