Released July 1, 2009
DAVIS, Calif. -- New studies showing costs of establishment and production of small grain silage, wheat for grain, processing potatoes, pasture, reduced till corn silage, organic leaf lettuce, blueberries and winegrapes are now available from the University of California Cooperative Extension.
Each analysis is based upon hypothetical farm operations using practices common in the region. Input and reviews were provided by farm advisors, researchers, growers, farm accountants, pest control advisers, consultants and other agricultural associates.
Assumptions used to identify current costs for the individual crops, material inputs, cash and non-cash overhead are described. A ranging analysis table shows profits over a range of prices and yields. Other tables show the monthly cash costs, the costs and returns per acre, hourly equipment costs, and the whole farm annual equipment, investment, and business overhead costs.
The new studies are
- Sample Costs to Produce Small Grain Silage, 2008, Southern San Joaquin Valley by Steven D. Wright, Carol A. Collar, Karen M. Klonsky, and Richard L. De Moura
- Sample Costs to Produce Wheat for Grain, 2008, Southern San Joaquin Valley, bySteven D. Wright, Brian H. Marsh, Tuilo B. Macedo, Karen M. Klonsky and Richard L. De Moura
- Sample Costs to Produce Corn Silage – Reduced Till, 2008, Southern San Joaquin Valley, by Carol A. Frate, Karen M. Klonsky and Richard L. De Moura
- Sample Costs to Establish and Produce Pasture, 2008, Intermountain Region by David F. Lile, Daniel B. Marcum, Donald L. Lancaster, Karen M. Klonsky and Pete Livingston
- Sample Costs to Produce Potatoes, 2008, by Harry L. Carlson, Karen M. Klonsky, and Pete Livingston
- Sample Costs to Produce Organic Leaf Lettuce, 2009, Central Coast by Laura Tourte, Richard F. Smith, Karen M. Klonsky and Richard L. De Moura
- Sample Costs to Establish and Produce Winegrapes (Cabernet Sauvignon), 2009, North Coast – Napa by Karen M. Klonsky and Richard L. De Moura
- Sample Costs to Establish and Produce Fresh Market Blueberries, 2009, Southern San Joaquin Valley by Manuel Jimenez, Karen M. Klonsky and Richard L. De Moura
All cost of production studies are available online at http://coststudies.ucdavis.edu, at UC Cooperative Extension offices or by calling (530) 752-1517.
For additional information on the studies, contact Richard De Moura at firstname.lastname@example.org or Pete Livingston at email@example.com, in the UC Davis Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Source: Richard DeMoura, (530) 752-3589, firstname.lastname@example.org