Parenting Tips for Your 39-40 Month Old Child
Children like to be part of any activity. Let them help in food preparation and help them develop an interest in food. It also teaches helping skills, counting skills and cooperation.
- Try to allow enough time to prepare meals so that you are not rushed.
- Be patient and give your child a chance to help with small jobs.
- When you ask a child to do something, give simple directions. “I need one fork from the drawer. Can you get it for me? Would you please get the carrots out of the refrigerator?”
- Watch your child to see that he can handle the job. If the refrigerator door is hard to open, think of things he can get out of low cabinets instead.
- Show what you mean. “Watch me pour the flour in the bowl. Now you try it.”
Here are some jobs a three to four year old can try:
- Shape burgers or meatballs
- Peel banana if top is cut off
- Pour juice from small pitcher
- Spread peanut butter on bread with the back of a spoon