USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service provides a list, in pdf, of federally inspected processing establishments: FSIS Meat, Poultry, and Egg Product Inspection Directory.
If you have a current copy of Adobe Acrobat, you can search pdfs for words. So if you are looking for a plant in Cincinnati, type "Cincinnati" into the search box, and you'll find all USDA-inspected establishments there.
Each entry is coded by basic type (slaughter, processing, import, and/or ID warehouse) and gives establishment number, address, and phone number.
A number of states provide a list of processors; we have collected these lists here. Some lists are only subsets (e.g. only state-inspected plants, not federal). Formats vary, from downloadable pdf to searchable online database.
Are you looking for a small or mid-sized processor who can handle niche meats and work with small or mid-sized producers?
Are YOU that processor?
NMPAN has teamed up with Local Harvest, a national listing for sustainable food purveyors, to create a listing service to help niche-oriented processors and producers find each other. Listing is free, searching is free.
From the Local Harvest website:
"Local Harvest is America's #1 organic and local food website. We maintain a definitive and reliable 'living' public nationwide directory of small farms, farmers markets, and other local food sources. Our search engine helps people find products from family farms, local sources of sustainably grown food, and encourages them to establish direct contact with small farms in their local area. Our online store helps small farms develop markets for some of their products beyond their local area."
1. Go to the Local Harvest sign-up page
2. Choose “other,” fill in your contact info, create a password, and click "create a listing."
3. You will see the “where do I begin” page: click “next.”
4. Fill in your location/mailing address and whether you have a CSA (some processors do).
5. Check the “Meat Processor” check box.
6. Keep your business description simple: the next page will ask you many detailed questions about services you offer. Click "next."
7. You will be asked about the following:
8. The rest of the listing process is the same for all businesses and includes the ability to upload a photo and list events.
Go to www.localharvest.org and search for "meat processor," "slaughter," and other relevant keywords. These keywords may bring up other, non-processing businesses; to narrow your search, include quotes around "meat processor" (though this may exclude some listings.)
Tell us how we can make this service better: email NMPAN Coordinators