Preventing the spread of germs is a challenge in child care programs. A solution of regular household bleach and water is an inexpensive and easy way to disinfect surfaces and objects in child care programs.
Purchase bleach labeled for household use. Be sure to mix bleach-water solution fresh each day because it loses its strength after 24 hours. Do NOT mix household bleach with other household chemicals such as toilet cleaners, rust removers, acids or products containing ammonia. Mixing these chemicals with bleach may produce toxic hazardous gases.
To disinfect tables, toilets, diaper changing surfaces and floors: Mix 1 tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach with 1 quart of water or 1/4 cup liquid chlorine bleach with 1 gallon of water. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle. Spray the solution on surfaces and allow it to sit for two minutes. Wipe off the solution with a clean paper towel or allow the surface to air dry.
To clean dishes, eating utensils and toys: Mix 1 tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach to 1 gallon of cool water. Dip each object into a container filled with the bleach/water solution for one minute. Spread objects on clean paper towels and allow them to air dry completely.
Bleach-water solution is poisonous and can be dangerous to children. Keep children safe from accidental poisoning with these simple tips:
BLEACH/WATER solutionKeep out of the reach of children