Gardening is a great way to not only enjoy some fresh air, but to get some exercise and increase your physical activity, too!
Gardening activities, such as pulling weeds, removing rocks, digging, planting, spreading compost, cultivating, trimming trees and shrubs, and raking requires you to expend energy (burn calories). You may think of gardening as a fun activity or a way to grow food for your family. While this is true, gardening is also a good way to get physical activity. Physical activity can help strengthen bones and joints, lower blood pressure, and help manage stress. Gardening is a fun, creative, and healthy activity with positive health benefits.
|Activity (30 minutes for 150 lb person)||Energy Expenditure (kcal)|
|Digging/pulling weeds, removing rocks||200-250 kcal|
|Trimming trees and shrubs||150-170 kcal|
|Mowing (using push reel mowers)||200-230 kcal|
|Swimming (slow to fast)||250-340 kcal|
|Walking (slow to fast)||150-230 kcal|
Reference: William D McArdle, Frank Katch, Victor L Katch, Exercise Physiology: Energy, Nutrition, and Human Performance (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins) (2001)
- 10,000 Steps a Day -- Why?
- Adding Physical Activity to Your Day One Step at a Time
- Benefits of Latin Dance
- Benefits of Moving More
- Bike Safety
- Can I Walk - Assessing the Walkability of Your Neighborhood
- Gardening as Exercise
- Getting Enough Sleep is Key in Achieving and Maintaining a Healthy Weight
- How Much 'Physical Activity' do Children Need?
- How Much Physical Activity is Enough for Adults
- Importance of Resistance Training
- Increase Physical Activity
- Indoor Activities for You and Your Child
- Make Family Time Active Time
- Move More Everyday
- Move More Everyday Introductory Article
- Physical Activity in the Warm Summer Months
- Physical Fitness - Exercise - Physical Activity - What is the Difference
- Playground Safety
- Playing It Safe in the Summer Heat & Sun
- Safe Routes to School and Walking School Bus Program
- So You Think You Can't Dance?
- Starting a Walking Program
- Tai Chi: Movement for Health Benefits
- Ten Things You Can Do Now to Maintain Calorie Balance and Sustain a Healthy Weight
- The Importance of Stretching to Achieve and Maintain Flexibility
- Winter Sport Safety
- Yoga and Pilates for Good Health