What kind of degree do I need to get to become a horse trainer and riding instructor?

Horses August 22, 2006 Print Friendly and PDF
There is no specific degree you need to get to become a horse trainer or riding instructor. However, a degree in Animal Science will give you a good understanding of the physiology, behavior and management of horses. There are some schools that train riding instructors or certify them such as the Certified Horsemanship Association. Most horse trainers learn this skill by working or apprenticing with older established horse trainers. If you are interested in a career as a horse trainer, I would suggest you contact a local trainer and volunteer to work with them for a week or so to get a good idea of what is involved.