What happens to a person's children if they don't have a will that names a guardian to take care of their minor children?

Personal Finance February 24, 2013|Print

One of the major obstacles to preparing a will is deciding whom to name as a guardian for minor children. If parents don't do this and later die, state authorities will appoint a guardian.

For this reason, it is much better for parents to prepare a will and name their own guardian from among their family members or close friends. Be sure to talk to the chosen guardian before the will is finalized to make sure that they are willing and able to assume this role.

We would like your feedback on this Personal Finance Frequently Asked Question.