What can I do if a consumer reporting company or information provider won't correct the information that I dispute in my credit file?

Personal Finance February 23, 2013|Print

If an investigation doesn’t resolve your dispute with the consumer reporting company, you can ask that a statement of the dispute be included in your file and in future reports. You also can ask the consumer reporting company to provide your statement to anyone who received a copy of your report in the recent past.

You can expect to pay a fee for this service. If you tell the information provider that you dispute an item, a notice of your dispute must be included any time the information provider reports the item to a consumer reporting company.

We would like your feedback on this Personal Finance Frequently Asked Question.