I forgot a deduction on my original federal income tax return and am filing an amended return for an additional refund. Can I direct deposit this additional refund into my bank account or split it among several financial accounts?

Personal Finance February 17, 2013 Print Friendly and PDF

You cannot split a refund on an amended tax return. In fact, you cannot even have the refund amount direct deposited into any financial account. At the present time (2013), the IRS does not offer a direct deposit option for refunds on amended returns. In fact, there is no place on the form to designate a place for direct deposit.

Instead, the IRS will mail a check for the amount of your additional refund to the address shown on your amended tax return. If you are due an additional refund, expect a check to arrive in approximately 8 to 12 weeks.

We would like your feedback on this Personal Finance Frequently Asked Question.