I'm thinking of filing my taxes electronically. Where can I get information about using IRS Free File Fillable Forms?

Personal Finance February 18, 2013|Print

The IRS provides the fillable forms option for people who are comfortable filling out tax forms and schedules without software help. It provides "do-it-yourself" tax filers with an experience similar to filling out paper forms (except you can type numbers into spaces on the form and print out the form instead of writing everything out).

Fillable forms can be printed out and submitted by mail, or they can be filed electronically. For tax filers with an income less than $57,000 (2013 figure), there is also an option to access free tax preparation software.See http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Frequently-Asked-Questions for details.

To use Free File Fillable Forms and submit your tax return electronically, you create an account and input and submit your information as directed. Here is an IRS FAQ with additional information: www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=226829,00.html.

We would like your feedback on this Personal Finance Frequently Asked Question.