A service member has student loans which are coming out of forbearance. He/she cannot afford the monthly bill. What advice should Personal Financial Management Program (PFMP) staff provide?

Military Families December 18, 2012|Print

Call the servicing company (e.g., Sallie Mae, Direct Loans, EdFinancial) and ask whether it has a military deferment program. If it does, have the service member bring in a copy of his/her orders and the completed deferment form from the Department of Education website (ifap.ed.gov/dpcletters/attachments/GEN1017AttachPostActDefReqMilServDefer.pdf) and fax these documents to the servicer.

Some loans may be private loans. If so, the service member will need to find out the lender’s policy and consider additional options such as consolidation if deferment is not available.