Want to help people find answers to their questions? Work with your Extension colleagues from across the country? Help to serve Extension clientele in a new and exciting way? Then maybe you’d like to become an eXtension Question Wrangler. We have new opportunities for our public to ask questions through our new “Ask an Expert” system, but in order to ramp-up this effort we’re needing a few good people to volunteer to help make this a reality.
What does an Ask an Expert Question Wrangler do?
- Keep an eye on incoming questions. Monitor and keep your pulse on the system.
- Remove obviously spammy (or otherwise inappropriate) messages.
- Communicate with people (experts?) who haven’t responded to questions in a timely manner.
- Reassign questions to different people when necessary, for example if it’s not answered in 48 hours.
- Answer questions on occasion where there is an already published answer.
- Find and recruit experts to answer questions.
If this sounds like something you’d like to be involved with we need you to:
- Go to people.extension.org and join the Question Wranglers community
- When you join — we’ll send you instructions for configuring your Question Wrangler preferences in the Ask an Expert application
- Start contributing
- Join us for a Question Wrangler meetup on October 7 at 4:00 Eastern (connect.extension.iastate.edu/learn )
Your eXtension team plans to ramp-up the Ask an Expert system to cover all subject matter areas and involve all 15,000 Extension professionals in responding to citizens’ questions. Question Wranglers are the first and a very important component of this effort. It won’t take much of your time, and it’s kind of fun. We hope you will consider joining us!