Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Financial Officer functions as the responsible person in the organization for providing accountability of the financial affairs of the organization. This accountability stems from the needs of Board of Directors, management, and external interested parties. This accountability in turn will promote the stewardship of the organization’s financial resources.
The Chief Financial Officer’s primary job function is to be responsible for developing, maintaining, performing, and supervising all financial-related activities including payroll, purchasing, cash disbursements and receipts, accounts receivable and financial statements; prepare federal and other grant budgets; maintain statistical reports; develop or oversee a Management Information System including develop and maintain an online secure process for keeping records; participate in the Management Team; and assist in administration of the organization as may be necessary.
The CFO will work with an external accounting firm for financial transactions and payroll processing, and with a full-time business manager for the Foundation.
- Master’s degree in accounting or finance or equivalent; MBA, CPA or CMA preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge in non-profit accounting, auditing principles and GAAP.
- Knowledge and understanding of general business matters required including budget development, financial reporting, cash management, business taxes, banking and debt financing instruments.
- Knowledge of computer systems, including experience with system selection, new system implementation and project management.
- Experience in effectively managing a staff team.
- Previous experience with nonprofit organizations preferred.
- Monitors monthly financial operations, prepares analysis and reports, and gives guidance to executive and operating staff. Works with staff on issues that affect financial outcome. Prepares specific recommendations.
- Establishes auditable accounting and financial reporting systems, including ensuring appropriate policies, procedures and bylaws are in place.
- Oversees the accounting firm including the adequacy and effectiveness of the accounting systems and internal controls. Ensures that current accounting standards are met.
- Oversees preparation of tax returns.
- Oversees the entire payroll process including payroll tax returns and annual W-2 filings.
- Ensures the Foundation is set up to manage and account for direct employees. Oversees time and attendance, new hire paperwork, certification process, and business licenses to retain tax exempt status.
- Works directly with assigned committee(s) of the Board (Finance) to build relationships, develop policies, monitor their implementation and meet the related needs of the board.
- Manages the annual independent audit, the preparation of financial statements and the IRS 990 tax form. Prepares or oversees the preparation of required audit schedules; maintains records.
- Oversees and provides leadership to the annual budget process including: issuing guidelines and procedures; training staff, auditing budgets, overseeing data input and preparing reports.
- Develops performance indicators and measurement systems for tracking strategic plan objectives. Evaluates current business models and leads efforts to modify or redesign business models where necessary.
- Prepares federal and other grant and contract budgets.
- Collects and maintains data on government contracts and grants.
- Oversees preparation of reports to external grant funders and governmental agencies.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of outside reports and filings.
- Oversees the month-end and year-end closings and the preparation of statements and reports.
- Represents the Foundation with key community organizations and events as required.
- Assists the CEO in assessing organizational risks and ensuring that adequate and appropriate insurance coverage is in effect.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should submit the following documents in PDF Format via email to Michelle Giddens at email@example.com
- Cover letter outlining professional work experience as well as experience using the following applications: Google Drive Tool Suite, video conferencing apps, and cloud based software
- Resume or CV, with salary history
- 3 Professional References
Cover letter may be addressed to:
Dr. Christine Geith, CEO
183 S. W. Davidson Drive, Suite A
Centreville, AL 35042
Only qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews. Pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted. The eXtension Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.